Rodano: Better (And Less Expensive) Than Its Sibling

This wine's more pedigreed sibling was one I recommended a few months ago, so when I saw this less-expensive declassified bottling from the same producer, I thought it would be worth the chance.  As it turns out, this one's even better.

2017 Fattoria Rodano Rosso Poggialupi $15

Made from organic grapes grown outside Castellina in Chianti, this easy-going red manages a rounded, full flavor thanks to its 30% merlot, but retains unmistakable Tuscan character from the remaining 70% sangiovese. While not as serious as the Chianti Classico, its approachability and quenching acidity make this a sensational value.